Friday, May 27, 2011

Some say that giving blood is the gift of life. I say it’s the continuation of life.

I revisited a moment in my life today that I never dreamt that I would ever have to revisit again. The dreaded musty smell of the endless titles all arranged like war vets than the toy soldiers they should have resembled. To walk through the hall of a building not even worthy to be called an institution of fine learning and take in the all too familiar sounds and sights was an unwanted spectacle to behold.  At the threshold of the library where the event was being held just a mere glimpse into the room and all of the memories hit me like a book falling off the top shelf. Nerves crept upon me like an unforeseen presence hard to shake and most unwanted. As I sat almost shaking in the chair fumbling through the questions of what’s your birthday. I began to pray an realized I am above all this petty fear of blood and the condescending presence of the alleged guidance councilor that used to intimidate me. This past year I grew into the person I was destined to become brave. Courageous. And strengthened by the Lord alone. By Gods strength alone have I survived the first year of college and would never have gotten to the secure place that I am at now with my identity and purpose in life. What fear can hold me when I am in God’s hands? NONE! By praying it through all the way I was able to concur my fear of giving blood in the library and go onto achieving my goal of giving blood and saving lives. Those lives could very well be none other than my friend’s grandma with cancer, my friend’s dad with the heart problems or my cousins wife who is due to have a child they all need blood and all easily could be someone else’s loved ones in need of blood like mine once were. That is the rational I base my donating blood on. You never know who or when blood will be needed and if I donate my blood can potentially save people’s lives, and that feeling of knowing mere blood something I take for granted daily has the healing powers given by God, is indescribable even for me.

 I wrote this on Monday and havn't gotten around to posting it.

May 23, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment